CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

I Love Lists


Crazy things I've seen on the island so far:

1. Man driving a motorcycle while drinking a beer.
2. The LDS church building is a bright lime green color. Think 80's neon green. You can't miss it.
3. Most of the students at Ross look like they are going to the beach, but they are actually going to class.
4. In the mornings I have Farrah Fawcett hair. It's hot, but only lasts for about an hour.
5.The roads look like they are only big enough for one lane of traffic. Nope, two crazy vans going opposite directions are going to squeeze on the narrow slap of pavement...
6. One box of Pop Tarts are 14.95 EC or around $7.00 USD. Crazy. They're not $7.00 good.
7. Stray cows. I can't get over that one. Why are they so skinny when all they do is eat all day? And why doesn't anyone own them?

Things about Dominica that are super cool:

1. The diversity of the students who are attending.
2. Not having to wear a coat or a pair of winter boots...ever.
3. The little branch of saints who are valiant and friendly.
4. My Farrah Fawcett hair in the mornings.
5. The three minute walk to the beach from our place.
6. Knowing that because I married Willy all of my wildest dreams are coming true (living by the ocean, in a warm climate, with friendly non-materialistic people around, etc.)
7. A taxi ride is less then 40 cents from our place to the middle of the town.
8. I get to volunteer at an after school program and work with darling kids.
9. The lizards and birds and iguanas and roosters and goats and stray cows and fish and plants and flowers!

Things I miss about the United States of America:

1. Living by family.
2. Cheap food.
3. Hammy and Hilmo.
4. The big screen ghetto cinema.
5. My kitchen appliances.
6. Having a job.
7. A toilet that flushes correctly, with no surprises.

3 comments:

MOMMACITA said...

ummmmm, I think you forgot to say you miss your mother. She is so lovely. And kind and virtuous.

Becky said...

I am trying to visualize myself down where you are, but as much as I would love to succeed in this little dream, the fact that it's 10 degrees here makes it nearly impossible. I got an ice cream headache today while walking from my front door to the car. Ouch! Sand, ocean, sun, sand, ocean, polar bears, penguins, Eskimos, ice, frost bite...I can't make it out, aaahhhhh.....

Taryn said...

1. Your mother *is* lovely and kind and virtuous. I miss her, even if you don't.
2. I was reading your list, thinking... oooh, we should go visit her! And then I read the thing about missing a toilet that flushes without surprises, and I changed my mind. Immediately.