CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Are you for scuba?

Well, matt and I forgot our camera today on the very best adventure we've had so far...which means in the near future, we should do it again and bring it! (Hence, you only get a pic of the map of Dominica) Matt's first experience with snorkling and my second was spectacular. We drove around Portsmouth to Cabritz, a national reserve in the northwest corner of the island, containing the remains of Fort Shirley, an 18th century British military post complete with gunneries overlooking the bays to the north and south of the peninsula (the peninsula directly above the word "portsmouth" on the map at right). What is unique about this sight is that the cannons, and stone ruins have not been restored, so things are pretty much as they were left when the Brits abandoned the island. Willie and I went with our two new friends from Texas -Matt and Aileen. They are a hoot.



After weaving around snakes, lizards and crabs through a thick tropical forrest, we reached a rocky beach edge called Rose Garden. We then ventured out to the underwater entertainment. All sorts of long fish, flat fish, electric blue fish, stripped fish, and schools of fish swam around makeshift coral and rock homes. I actually saw a big fish attack a smaller fish and eat it! Matt saw a sea snake slithering on the buttom of the ocean which then settled in between a circle of rocks. The snake was not happy with sharing its space with any other fish. It was fasinating!

Heading home, wet and sun-kissed, we past two stray cows (they have stray cows around here like most neighborhoods have stray cats) chewing on some grass on the side of the road. We had to walk quite a ways until a transport bus picked us up. There is just so much happening around I have never seen before. Everyone is friendly here -once you are friendly to them first.

The one thing I could live without is the bugs though. Matt just killed a cockroach in our bathroom and we were informed kindly by my landlord today that right now ants take over the kitchen. At least in a couple of months ant season will be over -something to look forward too!!

Hope you all are doing well.



6 comments:

MOMMACITA said...

Wowzers, a roach report after only two blogs. I'd say things are humming along quite swimmingly. The title of your new life is: adventurecity. Miss you!

MOMMACITA said...

hey wait a minute....I thought Matt had orientation today. Must have been ORIENTATION TO SCUBA
Crackin myself up here

Becky said...

Wow...I am so jealous. What a beautiful place to be right now! I think you two are going to have a blast living down there. Yes, I like the idea of going down there to see you for a grad. present. I wonder, would you like me to send you a box of Raid for a house warming present. Give those roaches a taste of an American cocktail.

Emily said...

Looks like you kids are living large. Put on the sunblock, oh wait you guys don't need it. Take care.

Anonymous said...

It is absolutely great you two are pursuing your dream. I say to Matt, "good for you" and know you kids will do well. Maybe Uncle Kurt and I can come and see you because of the beautiful photos you provided have made me quite unhappy here in THE Ohio during the winter. I think you will be there for 3 years, right???? We love you and say, "study and massage on." Love, Auntie Shawn

Anonymous said...

I had no idea you guys were down there! I'm glad I got the new blog address (thanks!) We hope that you are doing great and will check back often ~ what a wonderful adventure! Enjoy!