CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, February 15, 2008

Savanne Paille Primary School

What we got here are the four coolest kids in school : (from the left clockwise) Bernard, Mick, Pria and Leon. Kevin was absent the day I took this picture. Every thursday morning I head to the neighboring town of Savanne Paille (it's french so it sounds like savon pie) to help these little darlings with their reading skills. It's one of the highlights of my week so I wanted to document it on the bloggy blog. They get to wear uniforms to school four days of the week. Pria's skirt is always blowing up while we are reading since we sit outside where it is always windy.
Anyways, it's really different working with kids that are from the states and kids that are local. The locals are much more well behaved, which is a nice change from the rascals I do the After School Program with. When I asked the bunch if I could get a picture of them, I thought they'd be hesistant. But they were super excited to have me snap a few shots of them. I even got them to pose with some books (see below) -that made me laugh because it was so staged, but they were still excited about it.
We read books that a family in america collected and sent out to the island. The kids' favorite so far are the Arthur books. They also like the Magic School Bus series of books. Anyways, if any of you want to do a service project and send some more books to the island, it would be much appreciated. The books can be used, they're not picky around here.


"Hey, send us more books cuz we're cute."

6 comments:

MOMMACITA said...

I know 7 miamaids who could get right on that. Tell me more about the school, the kids, the availablility of books there, how many kids are in the school, the economic conditions, etc. Is there a library?

Shalyse said...

those kids are probably in love with you! I'm sure they think your white hair is beautiful! How fun...looks like you guys are keeping busy!!!

Becky said...

Hey, Leigh that is so cool what you are doing! Give me the info and we'll be right on with getting books out. I'm the enrichment lady in our ward, so that would be a fun project for the ladies here. Do I just mail them to you?

Kasey said...

Auntie Debbie here---We discard books at my school all the time. I will for sure get on the mailing books to you band wagon. I need more info. Where to mail them? Do you need other supplies---paper, pencils, etc.?

Momma Ann said...

LeiLei--Just checked your blog and LOVED everything! You still are one of my favorite people. We too do the clorex thing and I have darling students the same chocolate color. Aren't they the spice of life? And we do tons of bus riding to far away places to teach, but walking up hills is helping me keep my girlish figure at age 65. Loves to you both.

Kris "to the" Ten said...

Your basically living the life Leigh Lo....I should join you!!! Hope all is well